Caring for your candle

We have all been there - you buy the beautiful candle and then after the first burn it tunnels, then it continues to tunnel and you end up with a candle you cannot burn as the wick is buried deep inside the tunnel. This can happen with poorly wicked candles, but this can also happen if you have not correctly burnt your candle the first time (yes that is acutally a thing!)

SO to avoid the candle tunnelling we suggest the following:


· Ensure your wick is at least 1/4 of an inch at the first burn.


· If you have a wood wick candle, it needs to be lit at a 45 degree angle.

· The first time you light your candle let it burn for 1-2 hours minimum and allow the wax to melt to the edge of the candle. Believe it or not, candle wax has a memory so the next time you burn your candle if it did not burn to the edge the first time it won’t in subsequent burns. Resulting in wax wastage.


· Do not let your candle burn for more than 3 hours, this can

cause it to soot and also pool too much and lose that all important fragrance.


· When you blow your candle out and it has cooled, remove the loose sooty end to the wick, this will prevent soot and help your candle to burn cleaner. You can do this with your fingers or buy a handy wick cutting tool. This goes for wood wick candles too. The wooden wick will not relight if you do not remove the loose burnt wood from the wick. Stick to these tips to make your candle last as long as possible.

Featured Posts